Monday, January 31, 2011

The Catcher in the Rye Digested


     So... I finished reading the YA classic by J.D. Salinger last week. I thought after a week of contemplation I might be able to find some merit to the novel. I must say nothing has changed from my original impression. Holden Caulfield is whiny and like many other reviewers I find him extremely hard to like.                                                                                                

     The language is completely recycled with the words goddamn and phony appearing hundreds of times. You know when you play a video game so much that you dream you are in it? Well that's happened to me and I feel that the words goddamn and phony were in my dreams from that goddamn book with all those phony characters.

     I also found that Holden reacted the same way to most people. His response to most people is that they were unlikeable because they were phony. The only two people that were alive that he seemed to have a different response too were Old Phoebe and his Ex. It's sad that he has such a negative outlook on life. Perhaps, that is why I disliked the book so much.

      Also, did anyone reach the end of the book and think... "So that's it?, So what?!?" I think I missed something maybe I will reread it sometime... or go through Chinese water torture. You know whatever is more appealing.

Oh yeah and Lily-Katt gives this book five claws right through the front cover for being ridiculously emo.

No comments:

Post a Comment